Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trinity CME Church (Former)

Trinity Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church, located on the corner of Eighth and Taylor Streets was established in 1840 as an offshoot of Augusta's Saint John United Methodist Church. Apparently, the black membership of Saint John (323 of 610 members) expressed a desire for a separate place to worship. Remarkably, the membership bought the freedom of a slave preacher from Athens, GA, becoming the first national black organization established by former slaves. The Church operated on this site for 158 years before relocating to a new facility in 2001. The Church has been vacant for 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...