Thursday, January 19, 2012

I.M. Pei Penthouse













I've posted photos of the Lamar Building as well as the I. M. Pei designed glass-capped penthouse on a number of occasions. This is a new photo was taken ten days ago. In researching this structure, I learned that it is sometimes referred to locally as "The Toaster". The Lamar penthouse was completed in 1975. The juxtaposition of this glass and metal addition against the carved sandstone building is a theme that appears to be the precursor to the Pyramid at the Louvre in Paris completed in 1989. I was surprised to learn that I.M. Pei was the architect of a total of four structures in Augusta. Since it's been a while, I'll post photos of those structures in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...