5 weeks ago
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Wallace Monument Dedication
Samuel Butler Wallace, Jr. (1878-1938). a graduate of Howard University and pastor of Augusta's Trinity CME Church, envisioned a library where black children, denied access to local public libraries, could study, read for pleasure and conduct research. He led a letter writing campaign that resulted in the white community donating the old firehouse on Gwinnett Street now known as Laney-Walker Boulevard. The black community responded by donating books and the Community Library was opened in the fall of 1937. After the death of Rev. Wallace, his wife, Etta V. Wallace continued his work, serving as Library Director until 1953.
A Buffalo Soldier, Wallace served in the Spanish American War as a member of the legendary 10th Calvary, he fought at San Juan Hill in 1898. He posthumously received a commendation from President Lyndon B. Johnson for his service in the Spanish American War.
The current library building was named the Wallace Branch Library and dedicated in April 1958.
Posted by Eleanor at 12:01 AM